Ethics in Insurance – South Carolina Course Approval Number: 6000140877
This course represents 3 Credit Hours of State Certified Continuing Education.
Ethics in Insurance
OBJECTIVES: This course is designed to provide insurance professionals with the ability to use ethical reasoning and guidelines in their daily professional pursuits, and to provide an awareness of the legal and ethical principles that apply in the insurance industry. This course discusses why it is important for the insurance professional to adhere to ethical thinking and behaviors, and how ethical theories are relevant to the way they conduct the business of insurance.
Knowledge Areas: The insurance professional will have knowledge of:
- Why establishing solid personal ethical guidelines is important in an insurance professional’s business and personal lives
- The legal and ethical principles that have been adopted by the insurance industry and its licensees
- The relevancy of ethics in insurance with emphasis on sales, advertising, marketing, prohibited practices, claims, underwriting, unauthorized insurance, specialty and surplus lines insurance, privacy, and confidentiality
Skills & Abilities: The insurance professional will be skilled at:
- Establishing and abiding by a personal ethical code
- Identifying and avoiding conflicts of interest in their professional lives
- Using ethical thinking and behavior to respond to any ethical dilemmas and quandaries they encounter when carrying out their duties and responsibilities as insurance licensees