Maryland Course Approval Number: 110694
This course represents 3 Credit Hours of State Certified Continuing Education.
Medicare Concepts and Coverages
Because insurance producers sell products that are part of the Medicare program or that supplement Medicare plans, it is essential for them to understand how Medicare works. They must also be familiar with the laws and rules that regulate the Medicare program, as well as products marketed and sold to existing and potential Medicare beneficiaries.
After completing this course, students will:
- Learn Medicare eligibility requirements based on age, disability, and the Social Security Administration’s requirements.
- Know how to differentiate between the different Medicare enrollment periods and give proper advice about when individuals should enroll in Medicare and each of the types of available plans.
- Be able to distinguish between the different coverage parts offered by the Medicare program, including Original Medicare, Prescription Drug Programs, Medicare Advantage plans, and other types of plans.
- Possess a fuller understanding about how Medicare Supplement insurance (aka Medigap) is sold in addition to Original Medicare, coordinates with it, and is private insurance and not a form of Medicare coverage.
- Be conversant about Medicare costs, late enrollment fees, rights, claims, and tools.
About the Instructor
Linda McHenry is a writer, speaker, and trainer who specializes in developing, writing, and teaching insurance continuing education courses. Her extensive background as an insurance agency owner and licensed producer allows her to bring real-life experience into the classroom–whether the setting is live or virtual. Linda doesn’t lecture, she tells stories … and enjoys a reputation for actively engaging her students.